Friday, June 5, 2009

Water on the wind: Is time hell or a healer?

The only constancy in this life is change. Circumstances, people, everything in this world will change; it’s just a matter of time.

Change does not always feel good. Nor is it necessarily always a bad thing. With change comes growth, wisdom, courage and understanding.

As I left the temple today, the wind was gusting fiercey in from the coast, blowing my skirts, making me shiver. Ahead of me, I heard a fountin on the temple grounds that I love. The water path of this fountain sounds particularly serene to me, so I pulled on my friend’s arm, and asked if we could stand by the fountain before we headed into the thick of L.A. rush hour.

I’ve always been fascinated with the sound of water, the flow of it, it’s perpetual motion, and multiple transformational properties. Water is miraculous, and it can come in so many forms: ice, rivers, oceans, clouds, a drink, a teardrop, a kiss, a tsunami, healing rain to a desert, or a placid garden foutain. It can give life, and it can wash it away.

As I stood at the fountain, and felt the wind whipping droplets into my face, I flashed back to a vivid childhood memory. I remember being able to see, staring intently at a fountain. Wind caught the water, and threw it in arcs to the side, playing with it, teasing the drops into a dancing spray in the sunlight. The subtlety of the wind’s touch, the way the light glimmered in the spray…

the image was painfully perfect in my mind today.

A week of emotional roller coastering and a lifetime of split-second memory caught up with me at that moment. I sat on the edge of the fountain, frustration and longing filling me.

I looked over at my friend, and tried to describe to her what I was evisioning. As I did so, I felt sunlight on my face. Wind intensified, sending spray cascading down my arms and cheecks.

The tears came, slowly, burning hot agains my chilled skin . I put my hand forth in desolation, reaching into that wind-whipped spray blindly for the ghost of a sense I can never get back.

“I want it back!” I wept. “God, why? I want it back!”

I cried it out, my friend holding me on her shoulder, crying with me. We laughed together, dried our tears in the wind, and got on with life.

But for that one moment, I was as vulnerable to the hands of time and chance as that fountain was to the whims of the wind.

I can’t remember the last time I cried about the fact that I can’t see. It’s been a very long time, years, probably. I laugh about it more often than not; It’s a great source of humor, inspiration and strength to me.

But it’s a reality check, too. That childhood memory I have of watching dancing water is the only one I’ll ever get. I’m not angry or bitter about that; it’s my path in life. It’s who I am, and I accept and rejoyce in that. But it hurts, too.

Healing is a changeable process. We each hope to move only forward, but if you are not wiling to step back once in a while and survey your time on this earth, then no forward progress can be made. E are human, we are made to bend and sway with life’s winds like the mighty willo tree.

Tina Malia is a wonderful singer/songwriter. Her music can be found at http://www.tinamalia.com
I borrow lines from the title track of her latest album:
“We are the wind that carries the seeds,
We are the roots of the bannian tree;
We are love offered on the wing
That stretches across eternity
We are a chord In life’s symphony
We are the silent awakening.”

Time’s hands too often maintain a choke hold on us. We must work diligently to balance time against change, and accept the inevitable role of both.

Meditation:


Aromatherapy:
Insight clarity diffusion

4 drops ginger oil
3 drops sage
3 drops sweet orange
4 drops sandalwood
5 drops Moroccan blue chamomile

Blend mixture in a good carrier oil, apricot kernel or sweet almond are best for this recipe.

Find a quiet room, and either spray room with oil, or put into a diffuser.

Stone:

Amethyst or amber are the best for gently releasing time-induced stress or fear. These stones also promote clarity, comfort, healing, and isight. Amber is great for relieving headaches and high blood pressure, and amethyst calms, and when placed by the bed, will aid in sleeping patterns, inducing restful, enlightening dreams.

Tiger’s Eye: Helps uplift by targeting the 3rd chakra (solar plexus chakra) connecting body, soul and mind. This is a wondrful stone to wear while practicing Yoga, or to have near you when doing anything that requires physical and mental stamina.

Mantra: Find a comfortable meditation pose for you. When choosing a meditation pose, remember to sit or lie in a position comfortable for your body, bu allows you to remain alert and aware. Find a mantra that feels right to you at the moment.

Suggested mantra: “I am. I am. I am. I am letting go of the past, and opening myself to all possibility. God in me. Me in God. I am. I am. I Am.”

Namaste

-Sassy

No comments:

Post a Comment